We hear a lot about health insurance these days...on the nightly news, in Board Rooms, in job interviews, at kitchen tables. Health insurance is all the buzz; it's expensive and necessary. I don't know about you...but it's been one of our "big 3" monthly expenses...right up there with the mortgage. It's really a risk to be without health insurance. As a "healthy Virginian", I get a "discount"...if you want to call it that. That means I don't smoke, I wear my seat belt, work out regularly, and my cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and weight are in the range of someone in good health. I think that's great...healthy folks deserve a break.
The greatest health insurance, I believe, is prevention. The old saying goes " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Wisdom. What is prevention? Prevention is living a life in balance...a life of no excesses. We're not talking rules and legalism here, we're talking balance and wisdom. A balanced diet (if you want to be a vegetarian that's fine with me...get your protein other ways)....enough sleep, exercise, stress management.
Is this enough though? Back to reality. Our food supply is full of additives and we don't get enough nutrients from the foods we eat. No one eats a "perfectly balanced" diet consistently. Many of us don't exercise regularly. Our lives are full and drive-thrus are convenient. Processed foods are the norm in many kitchens today due to time constraints. Stress is taking it's toll. If you're popping a multivitamin from the local drug store thinking that's taking care of the slack...think again. The supplement industry is not regulated and many vitamins just end up in the toilet. Seriously.
All this said...do your homework!!! I did. I had a special interest in researching good nutritional supplements. If you've done any looking at all, you will know that there is much to choose from. Choose wisely! You do not need to choose what I did...but choose wisely. Invest wisely. Don't throw your money down the toilet. I wanted supplements that would be easily absorbed. I wanted quality and value, not hype. I wanted a company with integrity, with a track record. Because I know that "bad company corrupts good morals"...I wanted to know "who" was involved,, (or who used the products and what they had to say about them). I found what I was looking for with AdvoCare. They had the Science. They invested in research, development, and safety over advertising. They did not pay endorsers big money to say they used the products. Folks like Drew Brees, Michael W. Smith, Colt McCoy, and Olympic Athletes, were unpaid endorsers. I liked what I heard. I decided that investing in prevention was definitely worth it. Back to the great exchange....Starbucks, McDonalds, 7-11...they all became history. I decided I was worth the investment. I decided my children were worth the investment.
What are you investing in? Are you getting the return you want? Let's keep exploring good health together!!
No comments:
Post a Comment