|
"The truth will set us free; but first, the truth might make us uncomfortable, even miserable. Yet holding on to falsehoods and not going forward are worse, thereby denying the truth." ~The Irresistible Church
You may be noticing a trend by now in these blogs. Reality and truth are required to be really living LIFE. We've all tried the denial trip and we're always brought back around to reality...one hard way or another. Some of our trips are longer than others! I speak from experience.
Last time we talked about "fast food"...now that's a reality in our world! The faster the food prep is...the happier this gal is. I guess you could say I was susceptible to fast food. I'd rather be living and doing than banging pots and pans in the kitchen. I believe I'm not alone. And to complicate matters, we seem to be moving and doing on a much faster pace than our parents or grandparents. Hence, the success of fast food. And yes, the fast food giants are trying their best to bring healthy alternatives to their menus....but in reality, I'm thinking that most folks still order up those fries and burgers! Not to mention the sodas and shakes. Now these "restaurants" are beginning to post nutritional information...like just having information ever changed anything. Worked for the cigarettes, huh?
So what's a fast livin' bunch to do? We call it "the great exchange". Exchange something better for something not so good. Know what trips you up and flee from it. Invest (put your money somewhere) in things that will bring you life and health...not destruction. Here's one practical example: My hubby's Dad needed to stop smoking and it was a battle for years. As he attempted to quit on many occasions...he noticed a pattern. Coffee was a huge trigger. He started his day with coffee and a cigarette, he ended his meals with coffee and a cigarette. Of course, the harsh reality was...now he was looking at giving up TWO things he loved. Ahhh...here is where the great exchange came in. We introduced him to SPARK (AdvoCare's brain drink). It still contained about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee...but because it wasn't coffee...it didn't trigger that familiar pattern that coupled the drink with the cigarette. The "great exchange" worked...his Doc said, "keep drinking that stuff". It not only provided the caffeine, but it is loaded with good things: 21 vitamins, minerals and nutrients for fast-acting and sustained energy. He called it "his medicine". That's how the great exchange works...give up something that isn't working for something that will. In most cases, the money exchange is about the same, so we're not talking about a huge investment. Quit spending on something that isn't working and spend or invest your money on something that will work. Spark is a healthy alternative to soda, kool-aide, and other energy drinks that are on the market. All my kids love it, including the big kid!
Oh...and the fast food. I have found 3 favorite healthy "fast foods". Let me share them with you:
~GREEK YOGURT AND FRUIT. I purchase "Fage" at Costco (more bang for the buck). It is no fat and a serving is loaded with 23 grams of protein. (I HAVE told you how important protein is to maintaining your muscles, haven't I?!) One cup has 130 calories, if you are a calorie counter. I then sprinkle some ground flax seeds on top (buy them ground, or get them whole and grind them yourself) Flax seeds are loaded with Omega's...just trust me that is good and you can do the research for yourself. Sometimes I add a small amount of granola. I add a favorite fruit...fresh if I can get it (peaches, strawberries, and any berry are my favorite). Top if all off with some walnuts (also good for you)...and I feel like queen for a day. It's yummy, can substitute for dessert, is loaded with good stuff, and fills me up.
~ APPLES AND PEANUT BUTTER. Here's how it works for me. I cut up my favorite apple (for me it's Fuji or a crisp apple)...I'm talking bite size so I eat it with a fork. I add peanut butter or almond butter (not my kids...the natural stuff with no added salt or sugar). I use those ground flax seeds again, and the walnuts....and YUM! You've got your crunch, your sweet and salty, it's fast and easy. Because you eat it with a fork...you feel like you've really had something more than a snack.
~AdvoCare's Meal Replacement Shakes. My favorite is vanilla because I add a 1/2 frozen banana (we buy tons of bananas but because we are all banana snobs...once they are the slightest bit soft or brown...none of us think they're edible). So...bananas past their prime are put in the freezer (no fancy chopping or prep here...just toss them in the freezer with the skin on). I cut one in half, peel it with a knife and toss it in the blender with the shake mix, ice, and water. Yum. It's my "go to" when I'm on the go.
Have I been practical enough for you today? I hope so. Now fuel that body and go do something good! You are loved.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment