Thursday, September 1, 2011

"We're not ghosts. We have bodies. And they need stewarding"

"We’re not ghosts. We have bodies. And they need stewarding. Maybe you need to do a few things for your health, too, but you think you’d rather take a sharp stick in the eye. I won’t hound you. I’ll just let God hound you. Otherwise you might think that misery just loves company. And let’s admit it. It does. "

An appropriate remark from one of my most beloved teachers, Beth Moore.  She knows the importance of "body maintenance".  This brings to mind that the battle isn't just with our bodies, it is in our minds.  Our thoughts sometimes need a swift kick out of our brains!! Let's face it (because that's what we do here) we really need to watch what we believe, read, watch, listen to.  We need to be aware of that paralyzing word...procrastinate.  You know, it hides behind:  I'll start tomorrow, or Monday, or the beginning of the month (HEY...it IS Sept. 1, after all!).  Or how about:  when I'm not so busy, when the kids are in school,  when I have more $ .... You get the idea.  Before you know it...the gusto has passed you by and you've missed out on who you could have been! Don't you just hate that?


Well...I love this definition of "balance":  staying focused while you're on a tightrope. We ARE all busy, aren't we?  We have families, careers (or j-o-b-s), home maintenance,  church activities, community involvement, sports, etc. I'm with you on this...always looking for the balance.  One thing I have learned...if I don't take care of myself, I will do no one any good.  Oh, I might limp along...but I'll either be lacking energy, a positive attitude, sleep, physical stamina, etc.  If I continue on this path...I'll spend $ and precious time on meds, doc appointments, in bed, or on the couch.  Now...be sure to hear (I know I'm repeating myself for emphasis)  that I'm not anti Doctors or Medicine.  If you saw my checkbook, you would know this!  But we MUST be our own advocates, and our childrens' advocates. Last time I checked (and I'm pretty experienced), most Doctors visits result in the treatment of our symptoms with medicines.  Yes, there are exceptions....like yearly exams and physicals, blood-work, mammograms, pap smears, bone density scans, etc. (ALL of which I highly recommend.)  But your Doctor is not going to hold your hand and take you to the gym, go to the grocery store and do meal prep with you.  Doctors are limited in what they can do for you.  I love many of them...but that is just the truth.  YOU and your CREATOR.  If your car is malfunctioning, you go to a mechanic...if you are malfunctioning, you may want to check in with the God who made you.  You are fearfully and wonderfully made, you know?  He talks to us about balance, about our bodies' being  a "temple".  Do you feel more like a pup tent, or a broken down shack?  That needs to change!

Thanks for bearing with me as I get down off of my soapbox now.  Next blog, I'll show you my "WHY".  Why did I get started with this?  What drives me?  What do I do personally to take the "medicine" I'm dishing out?  We're all individuals...but we were created to learn from one another.  Thanks for coming along.



No comments:

Post a Comment