Supplements and more supplements, they are everywhere you turn! In grocery stores, health food stores, drug stores, gyms, some hair salons, discount stores, etc., etc. How does one decide? What do I need? What is a waste of my hard earned money? In a previous post...I asked "can you afford to NOT take supplements"? The answer is...nearly all people need some type of vitamin/mineral supplements because our diets have as many holes in them as swiss cheese. We don't eat like we should and many of our foods have the nutrition sucked right out of them...between processing or the way we prepare them. Adding to the confusion: The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate the supplement industry. (Not that their regulation would necessarily clear up much of the confusion!)
So what's a person to do? We have to do our homework. We have to talk with people we trust. In addition...you want a "tour guide not a travel agent"! By that I mean...a tour guide has been there and will show you the way. A travel agent sells you...but may not have a clue as to the details! AND...if someone thinks they have all the answers and wants you on a set regime...RUN!!! All of our bodies and all of our needs are different!
So....because the subject of supplements is HUGE, I am just going to do an overview in this blog post. Details will follow regarding specific supplements.
MOST folks should be on a good Multivitamin. This is "Swiss cheese" insurance. And...as I've shared in previous posts...there is a vast difference in multivitamins. You want one that is easily absorbed and won't wind up in your toilet. Look for well absorbed chelated minerals vs. simple (ionic) forms. They should have a high number of nutrients. We must be sure that we are getting enough vitamin D as this vitamin helps to incorporate calcium into the bones and slows the aging of arteries. Most of us are not getting enough Vitamin D. If your multivitamin does not contain enough...be sure your Calcium tablet contains enough when you combine them. (ex. 1.000 IU daily if you're younger than 60 or 1,200 daily if you're 60 or older.)
Omega-3's are the next supplement I would highly recommend. These are polyunsaturated fats vital for normal life functions like proper brain and nerve development, strengthened immune and cardiovascular systems, healthier skin, hair, joints, muscles and bones. Since they cannot be made in the body, they must be supplied through diet. Unless you have a diet loaded with salmon and other coldwater fish...Omega's are essential. These must contain the right balance of EPA and DHA (the right omega's in the right proportion). Flaxseed oil, for instance, must be converted in the body before use and this is a very inefficient process. The omega's need to be in a pure form (refrigerate your capsules...if they become cloudy...they are not pure).
That's quite enough "science" for me in one day! I'll share more next time. We'll talk about calcium and probiotics!
And of course, I can't close without telling you that I am a tour guide! If you want to check out the supplements my family and I use...go to www.advocare.com/09094089. You can click on any one product and get facts, ingredients, uses, and testimonies. Either way...do your homework and be a good steward of your hard earned money!!
No comments:
Post a Comment