Friday, January 6, 2012

Can I choose my rate of aging?


As I contemplate this topic, I really just want to do a little giggling!  What initially comes to mind is how we tend to view how old our mothers' were at specific times in their lives.  Have you ever noticed they seemed older to us than we are...even though they were the same age as us, say...when they married, or had children, or became grandparents! Now...why is that?  Is it denial? Could it be fashion?  OR...is it lifestyle?  My hunch is that it is most of these. And, because we all had  parents (well, I'm doing a little educated assuming here), we have been highly influenced by them.  I would like to make some observations from my own life experiences.

The Medical field has been changing constantly.  If your parents have been anything like mine...what the Doctor says, goes....no questions asked.  They are the experts and we are the...well, "dummies".  That was one extreme.  The other extreme was to avoid the Doctors office all together, at all costs. Now...I don't want to pass judgment on our elders.  Accessing information was more of a challenge without computers.  The Food and Drug Administration had much more respect (as did most of our Government agencies). Most seemed to really trust or not trust.  My...how times have changed and the grey area has taken over!

Without being overly historical or sociological (because I know I would lose most of you)...our lifestyles and culture can vastly affect our rate of aging! No doubt! We have a wild dichotomy going on in our culture right now. On the one hand...the obesity rate has been steadily climbing in our country (the US of A) and is now a huge problem, even among our youth.  On the other hand, the fitness industry (along with nutrition) is also huge.  Go figure.  We seem to be one extreme or the other, don't we?!  I believe that is called the human condition.  These extremes have gone on for the longest of times, haven't they?  Think about it...Moses brings the Ten Commandments.  There were those that fooled themselves into thinking they kept the law by outward appearances and those that really didn't give a hoot because there was no fear of God. Either way...we tend to swing from one extreme to the other.

Affecting our rate of aging is really about that "balance " thing again.  There have been endless diets through the years.  We've eventually discovered that some of them were downright dangerous or ineffective or just plain stupid. There have been those who fanatically exercised to the detriment of their relationships...not to mention their bodies.  We all know sun worshipers that look like they need to visit the leather shop to get a treatment. Oh, and what about those "hard living" folks?  You know...the party never stops no matter how old they get or how many lives,  including their own, they trash? Sometimes it's hard to distinguish these guys from the leather shop crowd.  The illusive balance! 

I believe firmly that the balance is possible.  It takes growing, learning, tweaking, and sometimes major adjustments.  But, the balance IS a possibility for us all. Let's learn to listen to our Creator, listen to our bodies, and listen to the people in our lives that love us and have our best interest in mind. If someone you love suggests a Doctors visit...perhaps you should take heed.  If your heart is beating out of your chest and you sense something is not right...DO something about it.  Don't ignore it. "Master your choices or become the slave of their consequences".  Not original with me, but I sure believe Michael Rawls on this one. Every choice we make has a result.  You know the saying...insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.  Let's come out of bondage and slavery and denial.  Let's do some living!

Next blog...I'm going to talk about specific supplements and their benefits.  Now mind you (and I'll remind you again and again)...I'm NOT a Doctor.  But I can tell you what I have learned and what I have experienced.  I can share with you what has helped me and those I love. I can point you to more information so you can do your own research (and you should!).  When it comes to supplements, ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!!  Never forget it.  We are fearfully and wonderfully made.  The same holds true when you visit the Doctor and he determines what meds to prescribe. So...come back and visit.  Let's learn something together.  Questions and comments are always welcome.  If I don't know the answer...I'll help you find it!

OH...I almost forgot.  My Mom was not much older than I am now when I had my first son 20 and 1/2 years ago.  I could swear she was older than me!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment